Tuesday, April 4, 2006

E-mail from Greenbarebear and Reply

Since I haven't been doing too much blogging lately, thought I'd share the follow up to Greenbarebear, who wrote:

Well, for your information, I am one those people who contracted the virus in the 80's and have been on meds and done everything my doctor has said and I am still going strong.  You didn't answer my question about if you were a doctor or not and if you were, are you willing to bet your malpractice insurance on it?  For you to prey on people before they have all the information they need to make an informed decision is very irresponsible of you and your friends.  I know of a lot of people who have contracted the virus in the 80's and on meds and are still going strong thanks to their doctors support.  It is every individual's right to receive the best care and advice before deciding what to do about the treatment they decide on.  You and your friend's advice prey on these unsuspecting people and drive them away from potentially life saving medicine's. 
    I would hate to have to live with your guilty conscience.
 
           Frank G
 
Believe me, Frank, I have no problem with my conscience. A lot of very wonderful people love me and think of me as their angel.  If I WEREN'T sharing this information I would have a problem with my conscience.
 
 If what you say is true, you are very lucky, and a rare case.  How many patients has your doctor buried since the 80's? 
 
If I were a doctor, Frank, I would not admit it.  I would hang my head in shame and probably kill myself.  Despite their oath to "above all, do no harm," they are the #1 cause of disease and death in the U.S.  They admit to being #3 (JAMA, August 2004), but their critics say otherwise.  I suppose we could compromise and say they are the #2 cause of death.  Whether #1, #2, or #3, they are, above all, doing a lot of harm.
 
Besides destroying our health, they are destroying us financially.  Medical expenses are the #1 cause of personal bankruptcies.  Andmedical care is the #1 expense of the federal government -- unless Bush has managed to make war the new #1.  And health insurance has become the driving force behind the recent municipal transit workers' strikes that have crippled major cities.  Medical care is driving up the price of everything else.
 
You are alive despite the meds.  Possibly for a number of factors.  First off, you weigh 200 lb.  Unlike many prescription drugs, HIV med dosages are not based on body weight.  A 98 lb. cha-cha queen would be given the same dosage as you or a Magic Johnson.  I don't know your lifestyle, but most of the people who've survived as long on the medications usually work out or do something vigorous on a daily basis. Another factor is your faith. 
 
So you say you know a lot of people who believe they contracted the virus in 80's and are "going strong" -- whatever that means.  Most times people tell me that, they are referring to numbers that represent invalid surrogate markers, but in reality they suffer all kinds of health problems.  How many people is a lot?  According to the government's own figures there are at least a couple of hundred thousand who've been poz since 1984, but still don't it. Obviously they're still going strong with NO medical intervention and no drama.
 
I'm not preying on anyone and I do want people to have ALL the information so that they can informed choices and not stupid, uninformed and misinformed choices, as you have.

No comments: