Tuesday, July 17, 2007

an open letter to Michael Moore

I finally saw sicko and it earned my top rating: 0  Z's.  I rate my movies by Z's.  Every time I nod out during a movie, it earns a Z.  The lower the score, the better the flick. 
 
I loved every frame of this movie, from the opening vignettes to very end of the closing titles, which I'm glad I stayed for.  It made me smile. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me think.  It showed me things that have improved my understanding.  But I did not agree with the basic premise.  I wrote Mr. Moore today in response to an email from him about 300 Americas dying this week because they were uninsured.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Moore,
 
300 may have died from not having so-called "health" insurance, but probably ten times as many died from unnecessary medical treatments because they had insurance.  The medical-pharmaceutical industry is the number one cause of death, disease, disfigurement and depression.  They are destroying health.  Medical science does not always follow scientific method.  (Prime example: AIDS)  It is a pseudo science.  It is a religion masquerading as science.  As such, all governmedical alliances are unconstitutional.  They are not only destroying our health. They are bankrupting our society in the process.  Shame on you for doing so much research and not seeing this. 
 
I used to be a fat person like you and a growing number of Americans.  We're fat for many reasons, but primarily because of our animal-based diet.  Cancer and heart disease, our major killers, are the animals' revenge.  Cattle are not only destroying our health, they have recently been shown to be the major cause of global warming -- a very inconvenient truth for cattle farmers like Al Gore.  I wish you would look into this. 
 
I saw Sicko and loved almost every minute of it, but you still missed the mark.  Yes, the insurance system is corrupt, but the whole medical industry is amiss, doing much more harm than good.  I recently watched a DVD called "Eating"  (Eating Plus, actually).  I highly recommend you watch this, Mr. Moore.  It could add many healthy years to your life.  And while I don't agree with your conclusions of Sicko, I do believe you are a national treasure and would like to see you stick around this planet for a long time to come.
 
Sincerely,
Edward Lieb
 
 
 

 

No comments: